Rapid Growth for Dual Clutch Transmission Fluids
- Strong growth in automatics in Europe and emerging markets (by 2025 in Europe, 20% of the ATF will be decided by DCT – nearly half of sales into passenger car transmissions)
- Ability to improve fuel economy
- Links to existing OEM infrastructure and supply chain
- Easy to also link into start/stop and hybrid technology
DCTs feature two wet (in-oil) multi-plate clutches that allow two gears to be engaged on separate shafts at the same time. The clutches are activated electro-mechanically, engaging and disengaging in unison, routing power from one gear set to another without loss of drive. The result: smooth gear changes and improved fuel economy. DCT systems have been in production since 2002, and as the demand for them continues to grow, fluid additives must address the unique performance needs of these transmissions.
Balancing all of the necessary performance requirements is crucial for an effective DCT fluid, and Afton additives provide sophisticated frictional properties for the double clutch, superior protection for the gear sets, and state-of-the-art synchronizer performance across a wide range of synchronizer materials (see figure 1).
Afton is currently the market and technology leader in DCT fluid, offering a range of technology tailored for OEMs around the globe which rely on our industry-leading expertise in testing and evaluation of DCT fluids.
Figure 1: Functions of Wet Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid
HiTEC® 3460 is a premium wet DCT fluid additive DI package specifically designed for service fill application.
Introducing HiTEC® 3460
For the Oil Marketer:
Key Performance Benefits
- Multi vehicle suitability enabling optimized supply chain and reduced operational cost
- Peace-of-mind with the latest DCTF additive technology provided by the market leader in wet DCT factory fill applications
- Assurance through robust performance demonstrated in standard industry and OEM tests as well as extensive field testing
- Exceptional copper corrosion protection for better hardware durability
- Excellent oxidation control to provide longer fluid life
- Outstanding torque capacity retention to provide smooth shift feel without NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness) concern
- Good seal compatibility for better leakage prevention
For more detailed information about Afton’s DCT product offerings, contact an Afton representative.
Recently Published Insights
November 10, 2023
Unlocking premium hydraulic fluid potential with zinc-free additive technology
October 18, 2023
Targeting eAxle efficiency through additives
October 09, 2023
Fuel economy or false economy?
August 09, 2023
Fluid protection for electrified bearings
July 14, 2023
Top 7 Questions on ILSAC GF-7
July 10, 2023
Afton Chemical Wins “Excellent Technical Paper Award” at JSAE Annual Congress
June 22, 2023
Fuels Phenol, 2-[[[3-(dimethylamino)propyl]amino]methyl]-, 4-polyisobutylene derivatives - Product Stewardship Summary
June 22, 2023
Calcium Phenates - Product Stewardship Summary
May 23, 2023
The Afton Chemical Grease Portfolio
May 22, 2023
ILSAC GF-7: Timing is Everything
April 24, 2023
How does gear selection work in a manual transmission?
April 21, 2023
Make your switch to calcium sulphonate grease a success
April 21, 2023
Introducing the Wind Turbine Microbotz Guide
April 19, 2023
Are you copper confident?
March 31, 2023
Afton’s San Juan del Rio Plant Receives Water Responsibility Award